Dental implants are a popular and effective way to replace missing teeth. If you’ve recently had dental implants placed, congratulations! You’re on your way to enjoying a beautiful, healthy smile. However, it’s important to take care of your new dental implants properly to maintain their lasting strength and function. Read on for 10 tips to help you properly care for your dental implants.
Here are 10 tips for proper dental implant aftercare.
1. Keep your mouth clean. Just like natural teeth, dental implants need to be kept clean in order to stay healthy. Be sure to brush twice a day with a soft-bristled toothbrush and non-abrasive toothpaste. In addition, floss at least once a day using a gentle flossing technique.
2. Avoid chewing hard foods. Chewing hard foods can damage your dental implants or cause them to become loose. To avoid this, stick to softer foods for the first few weeks after your surgery and cut your food into small pieces.
3. Don’t smoke tobacco. Smoking tobacco is bad for your oral health in general, but it’s especially harmful to dental implants. That’s because tobacco use increases your risk of developing gum disease, which can lead to implant failure. If you smoke tobacco, now is the perfect time to quit!
4. See your dentist regularly. It’s important to see your Riverside dentist regularly for checkups and cleanings even if you don’t have any problems with your implants. These regular visits will help ensure that your implants stay healthy for years to come.
5. Be careful with abrasive kinds of toothpaste. While it’s important to brush your teeth twice a day, you should be careful not to use abrasive toothpaste, as this can damage the implant surface. Instead, opt for a non-abrasive toothpaste that contains fluoride.
6. Avoid using whitening products on your teeth. Using whitening products on your teeth is fine if you have natural teeth; however, it’s not recommended for dental implants because it can damage the implant surface. If you want whiter teeth, talk to your Riverside dentist about other options such as veneers or bonding.
7 . Use an alcohol-free mouthwash. Alcohol-free mouthwash is best for people with dental implants because alcohol-based mouthwash can irritate the gums around the implant. If you use mouthwash, be sure to swish it around gently so that you don’t damage the implant.
8 . Avoid crunchy or sticky foods. Like hard foods, crunchy or sticky foods can damage your implant or cause it to become loose. So, it’s best to avoid these types of foods altogether, at least until the Implant has had time to heal completely. Once it has healed, you can slowly reintroduce these types of foods back into your diet, but be sure to chew them carefully.
9 . Don’t touch or poke at the implant site. It’s tempting to touch or poke at the implant site when it starts itching or throbbing, but it’s important not to resist the urge. Touching or poking at the site could cause infection or damage the implant, so it’s best to leave it alone until healing is complete.
10 . Follow all post-operative instructions from your dentist. Following all post-operative instructions from your dentist is critical for proper healing and long-term success with your dental implant. If you have any questions about what you should or shouldn’t be doing after the surgery, be sure to ask before leaving the office!
Congratulations on getting dental implants! These 10 tips for proper aftercare will help ensure that your new implants last for many years to come. Be sure to brush and floss regularly, avoid hard and crunchy foods, and see your dentist regularly for checkups and cleanings. Following these simple instructions will help you enjoy many years of good oral health!
Contact Smile Advantage in Riverside, CA
Smile Advantage – Dr. Ali Shmara – Riverside Dentist
4959 Arlington Ave Suite A,
Riverside, CA 92504