Nobody likes going to the dentist. But, just like getting your oil changed or your taxes are done, it’s an important part of maintaining your overall health. The good news is that you don’t have to wait until your semi-annual cleaning to keep your teeth healthy and sparkling.
Here are eight tips to help you keep your teeth clean between cleanings.
1. Brush at least twice a day for two minutes each time. Brushing regularly is the best way to remove plaque and prevent cavities. Be sure to use a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste.
2. Floss daily. Flossing helps remove plaque and bacteria from areas that your toothbrush can’t reach. Be sure to floss gently so as not to damage your gums.
3. Rinse with mouthwash. Mouthwash can help remove plaque and bacteria, freshen your breath, and reduce inflammation in your gums. Be sure to choose a mouthwash that contains fluoride.
4. Avoid sugary drinks and snacks. Sugar is one of the main culprits behind cavities. When you do consume sugary foods or drinks, be sure to brush your teeth afterwards.
5. Limit acidic drinks and foods. Acidic beverages and foods can erode your tooth enamel, making your teeth more susceptible to cavities and decay. If you do consume acidic drinks or foods, be sure to brush your teeth afterwards or rinse your mouth with water immediately afterwards.
6. Chew sugarless gum after meals. Chewing sugarless gum after meals can help increase saliva flow, which in turn can help neutralize acids and wash away food particles and bacteria.
7. Use a straw when drinking sugary or acidic beverages. Drinking sugary or acidic beverages through a straw can help limit their contact with your teeth, which will help protect your tooth enamel from erosion.
8 . Visit your dentist regularly. Even if you’re doing everything right at home, you still need to visit your dentist regularly for professional cleanings and checkups. During these visits, your dentist will be able to spot any potential problems early on and provide treatment accordingly.
Following these eight simple tips can help you keep your teeth clean and healthy between professional cleanings. So there’s no need to dread going to your Riverside dentist! Just be sure to brush, floss, rinse, and avoid sugary snacks and drinks, limit acidic drinks and foods, chew sugarless gum after meals, use a straw when drinking sugary or acidic beverages, visit your dentist regularly, and you’ll be on your way to a bright, healthy smile!
Contact Smile Advantage in Riverside, CA
Smile Advantage – Dr. Ali Shmara – Riverside Dentist
4959 Arlington Ave Suite A,
Riverside, CA 92504